Scientists are copying the very design He created for butterfly wings as a bio-template for a new and more efficient solar cell to power our human homes and offices. (/tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2009/02/scales-on-butterfly-wings-are-solar.html) Using the actual butterfly wings as a mold or template, the scientists have produced solar collectors that absorb light more efficiently than conventional cells. They found the fabrication process is simpler and faster than other methods, too. (www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090204170548.htm)
These scientists would need to call their product Solar Design by God with a little R if the Designer were interested in registering His patents. In fact, it’s amazing how many inventions of His we wouldn’t be able to copy without a hefty fee, if they were patented. So many that there’s a whole scientific discipline called bio-inspiration, also known as bio mimicry, that’s all about studying and learning from nature's -- God’s --best ideas to generate breakthrough products and technologies.
Here are just a few: (from http://www.biotrue.com/examples.html)
· * Man studied how God designed birds to fly and figured out aerodynamics, enabling our huge lumbering planes and even space flight to get off the ground
· * The way pine cones respond to extreme weather inspired “smart clothing” that regulates body temperature
· * Scuba fins mimic the shape of flippers on sea creatures like seals
· * Wind turbines were inspired by the bumps on a whale’s tail
· * The sticky surface on lizards’ feet inspired adhesives for closing wounds
· * The sleek body shapes of some birds and fish are used to design more streamlined cars with low levels of drag for fuel efficiency
Even though God can’t collect any hefty patent fees for the designs that human scientists duplicate with such impunity, I’m sure He wouldn’t mind a little credit. Yet many scientists and engineers are unbelievers who think the ingenious templates they copy from “nature” just somehow originated by evolution – essentially purposeless trial and error. But if you’re a scientist or a designer copying a template, how can you avoid realizing that template had to come from the mind of a Designer that is worlds superior to your own?
And there’s something else God is telling us in these very practical gifts He so freely gives us humans. It’s a message of love for His favorite part of His creation: little old us. Like a divine game show host, God showers us with great stuff to make our lives better in an astounding multitude of ways. All we have to do is figure out how to knock off His designs. Next time you see a butterfly, think about those very first solar collectors. And take a moment to thank the Designer.
What is man that You are mindful of him...
You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands;
You have put all things under his feet...
How excellent is Your name in all the earth!
Psalm 8: 4...