Picture
My last atheist fixed me with a look through his Harry Potterish glasses: “So you believe in God?” I nodded. “Well, do you also believe the U.S. government brought down the Twin Towers on 9/11?”

Somehow I knew this would not end well. “I don’t appreciate being insulted,” I answered. “You’re saying that if I believe in God I’m a nutso conspiracy theorist.”
Temporary denial and backpeddling ensued, but then came his next salvo: “You believe in one God, right?”  I clarified, “Three Gods in one, actually.”  I knew this was personal for him because we had both just emerged from a memoir and nonfiction workshop he taught at a big annual writer’s conference. In the class, he had revealed that he was raised Catholic and having a hard time writing his memoir owing to his miserable childhood.

“If you believe in one god, then why can’t you believe in a thousand, or even ten thousand gods?” he asked. Long pause as I just stared at him……….. ”Why would I believe in ten thousand gods?” Of course he meant that the same addled mind gullible enough to buy any form of god could easily believe in any idiotic thing at all.  That sort of mind could believe in mobs of Gods, unicorns, azalea bushes that talk, any old kind of Disney phantasmagoria. So here’s the first thing about atheists: they use loopy arguments to prove us believers loopy. We must restrain ourselves from reacting with anger or sarcasm, though it can be difficult not to do unto them as they do unto us.

Sensing he had some personal angst, I asked him about his experience with Christians and as I expected he said some had been vicious to him, unbelievably mean.  So this was an opportunity for me to be his ally while offering genuine sympathy. I said I was truly sorry that they had treated him badly, but they were obviously fallen-away Christians since they weren’t following Jesus’ commandment to love your fellow human and treat your neighbor as yourself.

Momentarily thrown off balance, he asked how I had become someone who was writing a book about Christianity.  This is how: I was raised Christian like he was, but when I moved to the Colorado countryside I found a gaggle of Christian horse-owners with whom I shared many a horsey camping and riding adventure. These were believers with a depth of personal commitment I had never encountered. Although heartache and tragedy and the resulting doubts about God had often stalked their lives, they’d come back with a faith even stronger, forged in the furnace of many trials. And they were so much fun!

My atheist’s response to my story of deepening Christian life was to ask: if my neighbors were Muslim, would I have become a Muslim?  I would think even a nonbeliever should know the answer.

Then our conversation bounced from evolution to the Big Bang theory and swerved to whether God needs to “prove” that He exists. When I said I believe God created everything fully formed as the Bible describes but maybe He invented evolution to tinker with specifics, he flung out a wide arc with his arm and accused me of a circular argument. When I quoted Nobel Prize winning cosmologists and physicists who say the Big Bang is the very picture of nothingness exploding into everythingness just as originally described in Genesis, he said some scientists disagree.  Even when I offered up Albert Einstein’s wisdom: “I want to know how God created this world…I want to know His thought, the rest are details,” this atheist was unmoved.

Whenever I made a point, he stabbed his finger at me while sneering out his response. The finger was getting quite the workout by the time we reached the “proof” issue: if God exists, this atheist demanded He give us an explanation, as if the Creator of the Universe were a perp in a CSI episode. I said, “God isn’t interested in proof -- He’s interested in faith. If He made His existence totally obvious, there would be no need for faith; everyone would believe. That would rob God of the ability to work the hearts of humans to trust in Him.”

From my conversations with atheists, I can divide them generally into two categories: those who can’t believe because they’ve been damaged by “religious” people; and those who won’t believe because their massive logical brains tell them God is a silly fairytale. Some, like my last atheist, are a winning combination of the two.

The atheists in the first group got a grim lesson in God from folks who wielded religious rules and regs like a lash. Early on, they learned about a dark and forbidding God who was seriously considering sending them to hell. Or the future unbeliever, like my last atheist, may have been mistreated by religious hypocrites who cheated or abused them. This ungodly behavior by people who pretend to be godly can permanently ruin a person for God.  The mistreated atheists deep down think they were rejected by God way before they rejected God yet they’ll still insist their unbelief is based entirely on “intellect.” Really, it’s nothing but raw emotion and festering hurt.

The second variety of atheists thinks they’re smarter than God. They often write books ridiculing the very idea of belief in anything as irrational as an unseen Deity. I recommend not standing next to these people in a lightning storm. You can quote all the Einsteins and astrophysicists and Nobel Prize winners you want at them and they’ll just give you a superior smirk. (Physicist Steven Hawking: “It would be very difficult to explain why the universe would have begun in just this way (the Big Bang) except as the act of a God who intended to create beings like us.”)

Sadly, the arrogant, big-brained atheist probably can’t be reached because his hubris will always be a dark cloud between him and a God who demands humility.  But there’s hope for those like my last atheist.  As Christians we must reach out with heartfelt compassion for them. We must show them Jesus’ words of love and renewal in the Bible, proving that the people who wounded them got the message of Christ exactly backwards.  Gently, we can offer assurance that Christ came for the very sinners that we all are.

I probably wasn’t all that gentle with my last atheist. Now I regret sometimes reacting sharply when he pushed my buttons instead of asking him more about his experiences. I missed an opportunity to start breaking down his hurt and his misunderstandings about Christianity. Still, I know how powerful is Christ’s message of faith, hope and love. And I know the Lord is even now planning to bring him others who can help him find his way to back to his Father.

How have you responded to atheists who attack your faith?

Comments

DENISE DENNY
04/28/2013 00:37

'My Last Atheist' I'll print out for later meditation then pass it on to my daughter or sister. Joy expresses her faith with such freshness it's inspiring.

04/28/2013 12:45

Thanks so much Denise -- really appreciate your encouragement! Pls forward my email about this post to anyone you think it may help --

Jackie
04/28/2013 15:16

Joy:
Your last paragraph is reflective and touching; I wonder what your "Last Atheist" took away from your encounter.
As Christians, we should try to use our energy to show nonbelievers what our faith has done for us - many times all the telling in the world won't help because, as you wrote, they are often coming from a hurtful experience.
Thanks for giving your readers the opportunity to reflect on how we would each handle a situation like this!
Jackie

Joy Overbeck
04/28/2013 15:18

I think you are SO right -- personal stories are what can make the difference for unbelievers and help them overcome their pain. I am sure they long for a God who loves them too, and it's our job to show them that God. Thanks much!

05/01/2013 11:49

The first category of atheists you describe as someone who has been hurt by Christian rules and regs is all too common. The folks who went heavy on rules and regs were the sort who crucified our Lord. Somehow as Chistians we need to impart that we serve a loving God, not an angry God. The last person I counseled asked me why God is always so angry. Too much Old Testament here. We need emphasize the NT.

05/01/2013 12:05

You are so right Ann -- I am always amazed at the grownups who are still scared of God because as little kids they were constantly told in church how sinful they were and how mad God was with them. Thanks much for your comment...

Megan DiMaria
05/01/2013 13:22

Excellent! Thanks for sharing, Joy.

05/01/2013 13:42

Great to hear from you Megan -- thanks for your kind words!

05/10/2013 05:40

Your article has helped me so much. I frequently debate Atheists on the internet, and I am very new at it. They almost always start the conversation with me & not me with them, but my biggest problem is my own son, who claims to be a "free-thinker". God help us all.

05/10/2013 09:55

Marsha,
so glad you found something of value here! If your son is a "God and science don't mix" kind of thinker, there are a couple of outstanding books you could get him: "Darwin's Black Box" by Michael Behe, a biochemical prof at Lehigh University, and "I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist" by Geisler and Turek. Both are very readable and entertaining but full of convincing scientific evidence for God. Blessings and much luck with your son!

03/16/2015 02:23

This society is developing way too fast. To keep with this society a lot of demand is placed on you. To meet these demands you need education as it is the only help that has the ability to get you through this time.

03/23/2015 05:29

Dopo Pretty cool. E 'seriamente Post.Thanks abbastanza curato e utili per la condivisione di questo con noi! È la mia prima visita ..

المصارعة الموقع العربي التي تقدم أخبار المصارعة، المصارعة WWE أخبار، عروض المصارعة والمزيد عن المصارعة العربية

06/05/2015 02:14

Nice and a highly interesting post to stumble at on this awesome blog. Never post some input only now just could not resist .

06/05/2015 22:40

Can you point me to good quality articles like this please?
I was researching the internet for some information since yesterday night and I finally found this! This is a impressive webpage by the way, except it appears a little hard to see in my verison phone.

06/08/2015 04:05

Hey great, this has been an awesome help to me, I have had some really strange annoyances in my personal life recently and it is funny how certain things can really pick you back up or make you look differently on the horrible things and get working on the other things in life. Anyway thank you a lot.

06/09/2015 00:07

This site rocks my world on so many levels
Really diggin what you have been posting here lately. Id love to see you continue with much more of this. Bookmarked!Actually diggin what you have been posting here lately. Id love to see you continue with much more of this. Bookmarked!http://www.premiumpureforskolinrev.com/nitroxin-scam/

06/12/2015 07:47

Is it okay to reference some of this on my blog if I include a backlink to this page?Certainly agree with just what you said. Your explanation was certainly the simplest to comprehend. I tell you, I usually get annoyed any time folks discuss.http://www.strongtesterone.com/is-action-fuel-pro-scam-or-fake/

06/16/2015 01:55

I found your entry interesting do I've added a Trackback to it on my weblog and my seotons .http://www.strongmenmuscle.com/action-fuel-pro/

06/17/2015 00:37

Interesting post. Ill be sticking around to hear more from you guys. Thanks!I found your entry interesting do I've added a Trackback to it on my weblog .http://www.strongmenmuscle.com/nitroxin/

06/18/2015 00:55

I love what you guys are continually up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the excellent works guys Ive added you guys to my blogroll. http://www.strongmenmuscle.com/progain-350/

06/18/2015 23:36

Great article, my partner and i appreciate the share, one thing, would you explain to me where you got this kind of theme? was it totally free or perhaps paid? http://www.strongmenmuscle.com/1285-muscle/

06/19/2015 23:03

I like the first point you made there, but I am not sure I could pratcially apply that in a productive way.Would you be curious about exchanging hyperlinks?http://www.healthcaresdiscussion.com/formula-41-extreme/

06/21/2015 22:43

I had this page bookmarked a while in the past but my laptop crashed. I have since gotten a new one and it took me a while to locate this! I also really like the design though. http://www.healthcaresdiscussion.com/is-prodroxatone-new-scam/

06/22/2015 02:05

I think youve made some actually interesting points. Not as well many people would truly think about this the way you just did. Im actually impressed that theres so a lot about this subject thats been uncovered and you did it so properly, with so a lot class. Excellent 1 you, man! Seriously good stuff right here.

06/30/2015 02:05

Highly rated post. I study one thing totally new on totally different blogs everyday. Deciding on one . stimulating to learn the paper content from other writers and be taught a little one thing from their website. I'd like to apply sure of this content material on my blog you're mind.

08/11/2015 04:50

Does it give any better than this!?! As a full-time writer myself is always good to read such a well written and well thought out content.
How can tutors run across good fun?

08/26/2015 04:34

like this on my site and this gave me an idea. Cheers.How-do-you-do, i study your<a href="http://guidemesupplements.com/brainfinity/">Brainfinity</a> blog often and i own an analogous one and i used to be just wondering if you get much of spam comments? If thus how do you stop it, any plugin or anything youll be able to advise? I get thus often lately its driving me mad so any help is very abundant appreciated. for older folks, retirement or a huge promotion at work is a time when celebration events are going to be a great idea.Took me time to read all the feedback, but I really enjoyed the article. <a href="http://guidemesupplements.com/brainfinity/">http://guidemesupplements.com/brainfinity/</a>

08/27/2015 04:53

it was very handy and helped me quite a bit
This is a good subject to talk about. Usually when I find stuff like this I stumble it.